Thursday, February 23, 2012

Zombies? Misunderstood?

Like most horror fans, I have been watching The Walking Dead on AMC. The show, based on a long running comic series written by Robert Kirkman, follows a group of survivors during the zombie apocalypse.

So far, I have been very impressed with the show. It skews from the comic series at times but not enough to be insulted by it. I always try to keep an open mind when watching television or film adaptations of comics. Not everyone reads comic books, so networks need to cater to everyone.

I was recently talking to a woman I work with about the show. She kept complaining about a particular episode had very few zombies in it.

“It is a show about zombies. I want to see zombies”

I love zombie movies. Yes, zombies are important and necessary in a zombie movie. But any good zombie movie or show would be completely boring without human interactions. Zombie stories are about survival. In a way, I do not think zombie movies are about zombies at all. Zombies have no thoughts or emotions. They run on pure instinct. That is all.


When watching these type of films, you are forced to put yourself in the place of the people on the screen. The undead are walking the earth and attacking live humans. What if your best friend, lover or own mother is attacked? You need to make a decision. You either need to run like hell or shoot them in the head. The possibility of killing someone you love in order to survive is a terrifying decision to make. It is decisions such as this that can drive you to insanity. That is why zombie movies are scary.

Unfortunately, zombies have become laughable to many people. I think a lot of it has to do with the popularity of horror comedies like Shaun of the Dead and Zombieland. Not that I have a problem with these films. I think they are fantastic and play a great tribute to the zombie genre. But the humor makes the audience less afraid. But I suppose that is the point.

The reason The Walking Dead is so good, television and comic series, is because of the human interactions. As a viewer you really care about these characters. You are really rooting for them. This doesn't mean you are opposed to seeing some of the more unsavory characters ambushed by zombies. The second part of Season 2 has just begun and I look forward to watching more.


Try This!

Good People Brewing Company is a new brewery out of Birmingham, Alabama. Most of my experiences with Good People have been drinking it on draft at local restaurants. The brewery recently began canning a few of their beers. I am normally not a huge fan of canned beer. I feel like the aluminum gives the beer a sort of metallic flavor.

This is not the case with Good People's IPA. The bold flavor of hops eliminates any flavor of the can. The beer is a hazy amber color. The flowery bitterness is perfectly balanced. I enjoy drinking the Good People IPA with corned beef hash, pizza or any other dish that is high in carbohydrates. It is a great comfort beer that pairs perfectly with comfort food. Cheers!

No comments:

Post a Comment